Going to the doctor due to your social phobia isn’t really an option, due to the nature of the condition. And even if you collect enough determination to go and see the doctor aka psychiatrist, you should first try to deal with it by yourself. Only once that fails you should look for professional help. There are few ways through which you can try to deal with this issue without involving other people.
The first thing you should try in a battle against your social phobia is to face the negative thoughts. They are the biggest contributor to the anxiety disorder and if you don’t deal with them you will never be truly free from this phobia. Challenging the negative thoughts that stop you from even trying social interaction must be done carefully. First of all, you have to identify the thoughts that fire up the fear and you have to logically analyze them. If your first thought about a presentation revolves around blowing it up, then think about presentation and realize that everyone makes mistakes and that people won’t judge small mistakes because everyone makes them. The act of challenging every negative thought is a step forward, and next logical step is to involve yourself in a social event even though your negative thoughts are raising red flags.
– Over thinking is the main reason of this disorder and that over thinking leads you to believe that other people are somehow able to do things that are impossible or they will react in a way no one reacts.
– People with social phobia think that they know what other people think, and they always conclude that those people are thinking about them in a negative way.
– They also think that they know what will happen and that it will end badly for them, (you will be embarrassed, people will laugh at you and so on) and this prevents them from going anywhere.
– Individuals with this type of anxiety disorder blow things way out of their proportion. They think if people find out that they are nervous in any way they will react terribly or awfully.
– These people personalize. Whenever someone looks in their direction they automatically think that those people are thinking or talking negatively about them.
If you found yourself in any of these situations then think it over, people are not concerned about you, they don’t care whether you are nervous or not, they have their own problems.
Even though it is hard, you have to build relationships. A relationship requires communication skills which are why you should work on them. Whether you do that in front of a mirror or over the internet it doesn’t matter, you have to train.
You probably have things you enjoy doing, so you should volunteer to do them. Once you start doing that you will relax and you will find people that love the same thing as you and you will be able to talk with them about that. Having that kind of conversation topic will help you to develop your communication skills even further.